Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Should law students date? The answer is no.

This article has a semi-humorous take on what it's like to date someone in law school. It's probably not much fun. But some law students are already attached or married when they get to law school.  And I did see more than one relationship die or greatly suffer while I was in law school. I think first term I saw one divorce, and one student leave because it was too hard on his marriage.That doesn't count later terms.
There’s no doubt in my mind that law school is hard on relationships.  In my time at law school I’ve seen at least three of my classmates go through a divorce and dozens of other relationships crash and burn. 
*******


On dating someone who’s not a law student:  Another one of those things that seems like a good idea.  At first.  Who better to help you stay sane during three years of surrealism than someone who’s separated from it?  The problem with this is that normal people are going to want normal interaction, which, as a law student, you’re probably not really able to provide.  And the chances of a normal person understanding why you’re drinking heavily at 11:45 in the morning after the MPRE are fairly small.  Plus, normal people ask inconvenient questions like, “Don’t you think there’s something inherently wrong about a profession where the ethics qualification is graded on a curve?”

No comments:

Post a Comment