Friday, July 31, 2015

Six legal technologies that should be obsolete

The list: copiers, fax machines, dictaphones, typewriters, Blackberrys, and Windows XP.

I must confess that I rely on #1 - copiers - on a daily basis.

I also must confess that I sort of miss typewriters, or at least the process of using a typewriter to write. (Now, I do have access to a typewriter in my office - it's an IBM Selectric - to type on forms that I can't get a PDF of online). But back to the writing process: Typewriters were sort of permanent, like an early PDF. In order to use one, your thought had to be pretty complete, or you knew you'd have to edit the pages you types, and then re-type them.

I hand wrote all my exams, which made the writing process more interesting, since I couldn't use "copy, paste" to re-organize my thoughts, while other exam takers with their laptops could edit while typing. But I think the handwriting process was important: It made me write a short outline on the exam book or note paper, then fill out the outlines as I wrote. If I'm stuck now, while writing a brief or whatnot, I will still resort to writing longhand, then typing (but not on a typewriter) the notes I wrote. I know it's very old school, but the multi-step process seems to solidify my thoughts better.

Article here via the lawyerist.

No comments:

Post a Comment